Lamb and Onion Saffron Tagine
4 tbsp olive oil
1kg/2lb/4oz lamb, cut into 5cm/2” cubes
3 large British Onions, cut into 8 segments
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 ½cm/1” fresh ginger, chopped
½ stick cinnamon
6 saffron strands
1x 400g/14oz tin tomatoes
600ml/1pt chicken stock
400g dried couscous
25g/1oz blanched almonds
25g/1oz dried cranberries
1 handful coriander, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas mark 5
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the lamb until browned. Remove from the pan.
3. Heat the remaining oil and fry the onion and garlic for 10 minutes until softened. Add the
ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the cinnamon, saffron, tomatoes and stock. Bring to
the boil, remove from the heat and add the lamb.
4. Cook in the oven for an hour to an hour and a half until the meat is tender.
5. For the couscous: Heat the butter and fry the almonds for 1 minute until golden brown
then add the cranberries.
6. Make the couscous according to the packet instructions with either hot water or stock.
7. Add the almonds and cranberries to the couscous then sprinkle with fresh coriander to
serve alongside the tagine.